Sunday, May 8, 2016

Smartphone as an electronics multi-tool

I like my Leatherman multi-tool because it has so many useful mechanical tools in one small package.  These tools including a pair  of needle nose pliers, a knife, a saw, a file couple of screwdrivers, and other helpful tools. 
Leatherman Multi-Tool



With my visual impairment, I am using a bunch electronics widgets to help me with many daily tasks.  Now that I have a smartphone, I could probably consolidate many functions provided by those widgets into one device.   My smartphone already came with some functions that could replace couple of my electronics devices. and I added few more apps to round out my electronics multi-tool collection. 

Camera: my smartphone came with a 5MP autofocus back camer and a 2MP front camera.  The camera app is very easy to use.  All the buttons are labeled.  This app even  let me take a photo with voice command, just say Cheese.  The main draw back of this camera is lack of optical zoom.  Needless to say, it has video recording function too.

Calculator: what can I say about the calculator app?  Oh, yes, it is a talking calculator.  I don't use my large digit calculator anymore.
Large Digit Calculator


Voice Recorder:  the voice recorder app replaces my portable digital voice recorder.  This simple voice recorder only has 3 buttons (record, pause, stop) and they are all labeled.   One big advantage of the portable voice recorder is its small size and its simple operation.
Digital Voice Recorder




FM Radio: I hardly listen to radio anymore, but it is nice to know it is there if I want it.  I have to use a pair of ear buds in order to receive the radio signal because the ear buds wire acts as an antenna.

MP3 Player:  with the MP3 app, I no longer need a separate MP3.  I player.  I am glad to get rid of this inaccessible device.
MP3 Player


Digital Book Player:  one of the best app is the BARD Mobile app.  I no longer need to carry the bulky BARD digital book player on my long car ride.  However, I still like to use the bulky BARD player at home because it has much better sound quality.
BARD Digital Book Player


Magnifier:  I really want my smartphone to act as a magnifier or a CCTV but I haven't found a good app as a replacement.  Few of those magnifier apps had unlabeled buttons thus making them useless with Talkback.  In general, I found those magnifier apps have  inadequate magnification and low image quality to be  helpful for my need.  I guess I have to keep my portable CCTV for now.
Hand Held Magnifier 5X
As you can see from above, the smartphone is indeed can be used as an electronics multi-tool.  I am sure I will find more useful apps down the road.

1 comment:

  1. It is very important for the doctors to identify the Symptoms of Retinitis Pigmentosa in order to diagnose it and advise the most accurate Treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa to help patients get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete